* English is required for all public instruction.
* Students who speak little or no English will be placed in sheltered English immersion classes, “not normally intended to exceed one year.”
* Those students are transferred to mainstream classrooms once they acquire “a good working knowledge of English” and can do regular schoolwork in English.
* Standardized tests will be given annually to all students, except for those exempt for special-education reasons.
* Foreign-language classes are unaffected.
* Lawsuits are permitted, to ensure enforcement.
Parents may request a waiver from a requirement to place their child in bilingual education if the child:
* already speaks English OR
* is 10 years old or older OR
* has spent at least 30 days in an English-language classroom and is determined to have special physical or psychological needs above and beyond a lack of English proficiency.
Teachers and districts “may reject waiver requests without explanation or legal consequence.”
To view the proposition in its entirety, see: www.angelfire. com/az/english4thechildren/ initiative.html